How to build a multi-region, multi-master MySQL cloud database back-end capable of serving a global high volume cloud contact center
This global SaaS provider is a Cloud Contact Center solution provider (the leading Salesforce telephony solution), who needed to deliver up-to-date data to clients as quickly as possible. Its cloud-based call center software frees users to make every conversation personal; it supports the creation of exceptional customer experiences that help serve better and sell more. Its technology is 100% cloud-based and device-agnostic for telephony infrastructure.
What is the Challenge?
Active/Active (multi-master) MySQL clustering is needed when there is significant update load on geographically distributed applications. These require fast response times both for updates and reads, and they also need to share data on a global scale.
- Regional distribution of data
- Deliver up-to-date data to clients as quickly as possible
- Fast, site-local read response times
- Zero downtime for planned maintenance
- Automatic High Availability within a region
Our customer needed to deploy multi-master MySQL with the following design criteria:
- Geographically distributed, low-latency data
- Fast local response times for read & write traffic
- Full ACID compliance - atomic operations, guaranteed consistency, isolation, and durability
- Local automated, rapid failover for database high availability
What is the Solution?
This customer uses Tungsten Clustering within three (3) geographic locations – US, Europe and Asia. Each location is configured with two (2) 3-node Tungsten CMM (composite multi-master) clusters and each geographic region is independent of the other with select common shared data. In short … the solution architecture:
- Geo-distributed Composite Multi-Master Tungsten clusters
- Three pairs of active/active MySQL clusters in USA, EMEA and APAC
- Three (3) nodes per cluster, six (6) nodes per region, 18 nodes for the whole geo-cluster
- Running on Amazon AWS EC2 instances in VPC’s
What are the Benefits?
Geo-scale, Availability, Disaster Recovery
- Low-latency, regionally geo-distributed data access providing fast response times for read traffic and local, rapid-failover and automated high availability
- Maintain client connectivity for planned and unplanned maintenance activities
- Simple administration, system visibility and stability also help create high return on investment
- Rapid Replication across regions
Tungsten Clustering allows enterprises running business-critical MySQL database applications to cost-effectively achieve continuous operations with commercial-grade high availability (HA), geographically redundant disaster recovery (DR) and global scaling. To find out more, visit our Tungsten Clustering product page.