For this next ‘multi-master MySQL’ blog in our Continuent MySQL Case Study series, we’re focusing on Financial Services Saas providers.
Often referred to as the number one open source database in the cloud, and a leading SaaS database, MySQL enables SaaS vendors to be competitive because it provides cost-effective data security and privacy, performance, and availability amongst other things, which are of particular importance for a SaaS business.
As per our previous multi-master MySQL case study blog (for e-commerce sites), multi-master replication for MySQL typically means that a user can write to any master node knowing that the write will be eventually consistent for all nodes in the cluster; unlike regular MySQL replication, where writes have to be applied to the sole master to ensure that it will be replicated to all the slaves.
The Multi-master Financial Services SaaS Provider
This Financial Services SaaS provider provides 24/7/365 application availability for their payment gateway and decryption-as-a-service, which are essential to point-of-sale (POS) solutions. More specifically, their payment and data security technologies protect point-of-sale (POS) and online transactions.
Their security suite includes PCI-validated point-to-point encryption for retail, call center, mobile, and unattended payments, and a data security platform for the protection of Personally Identifiable Information (PII), Personal Health Information (PHI), and payment data entered online.
Financial Services require two or more active data centers to provide their customers with continuous availability along with quick response times. This customer uses co-located data centers with multi-master replication between each MySQL cluster. This provides a complete, local High Availability and a remote Disaster Recovery solution for more than 350 million financial transactions each month.
Topology: Active/Active Tungsten Clustering – Two active multi-master MySQL clusters with 20 production nodes
The two services, payment gateway and decryption-as-a-service, are identical deployments: production, certification and staging (UAT).
- Two collocated data centers
- Multi-master replication between each cluster in each data center
- Full failover within the cluster and between clusters
- Handle approx. 350M records each month
What this solution provides
- Site-level and cross-site failover that ensures application availability
- Full DR that supports failures between DCs
- Full transfer of service during failure
- Multiple layers of resiliency
- 24/7 support (with less than 3 minutes response time) to get back online
Geo-distributed Multi-master, Availability, Disaster Recovery
- Maximum resiliency inside the data center as well as globally
- Easy to deploy and manage Tungsten Clustering
- Tungsten Connector (intelligent proxy) provides required abstraction
- Lower cost through complete solution
- Customer service provides peace of mind
Tungsten Clustering allows enterprises running business-critical MySQL database applications to cost-effectively achieve continuous operations with commercial-grade high availability (HA), geographically redundant disaster recovery (DR) and global scaling.
To find out more, visit our Tungsten Clustering product page.