Welcome to the next evolution of database management! We're thrilled to introduce you to Tungsten Clustering & Tungsten Replicator v7.1.0, a release that introduces game-changing features and enhancements to elevate your database experience. Let's delve into some of the highlights that deserve your attention.
Distributed Datasource Groups (DDGs): A Paradigm Shift in Clustering
Imagine a database cluster that not only scales horizontally, but also organizes itself intelligently for optimal performance. Enter Distributed Datasource Groups (DDGs), the novel feature introduced in v7.1.0. Nodes with the same
datasource-group-id now form distinct DDGs within a single cluster, ensuring streamlined operations and resource utilization. This innovation introduces a new level of control, flexibility, and efficiency, enabling you to optimize your database environment like never before.
To learn more, read our blog post on Distributed Datasource Groups.
tpm cert Tool: Empowering Secure Database Operations
Security is paramount in today's digital landscape, and managing certificates is a crucial aspect. Introducing the
tpm cert tool – your go-to solution for certificate creation, rotation, and management across the Tungsten environment. The
tpm cert tool not only enhances security but also simplifies the often complex process of managing certificates.
S3 Applier for Replication
A new S3 CSV Applier is now available. This new applier allows replication to CSV files stored on secure S3 storage. Whether you're dealing with vast amounts of data or striving for enhanced data redundancy, the S3 Applier opens up new possibilities in how you manage your replication processes.
Enhanced Connector Management: Control & Efficiency
We've revamped the way to list connectors, ensuring a seamless experience:
- Responsive Connector Listing: Say goodbye to unreliable connector listings. The new release ensures that cctrl now lists responsive connectors even if some fail to return their status promptly – a boon for setups with slow networks.
- Optimized Communications: Streamline communications between cctrl and remote connectors by reducing the number of requests, leading to enhanced efficiency and responsiveness.
- Individual Connector Addressing: The issue where individual connectors couldn't be addressed in cctrl has been resolved, giving you finer control over your connectors.
- Preventing Command Starvation: We've tackled cctrl command 'starvation' by refining the way pings are sent to connectors. This ensures smoother interactions and prevents undue delays.
- Dual Passwords Support: Tungsten Connector now supports dual passwords, mirroring MySQL v8.0.14+ functionality. Enjoy seamless password changes without downtime.
Behavior Changes: Tread Lightly with These Updates
The v7.1.0 release includes a few behavior changes that might impact your existing scripts and integration tools. It's important to review these changes and ensure compatibility with the new configuration:
Command-line Tools: A Shift in Connector Graceful Stop
We've made a change in the behavior of the command-line tools. The
connector graceful-stop command is no longer used in conjunction with
systemd for upgrades. This is due to an underlying binary change that confused systemd scripts. It's vital to adapt your scripts accordingly.
Flexibility in Service Naming for
cctrl tool now accepts service names with capital letters, dots, and hyphens. This expanded support simplifies service naming, improving clarity and organization.
Provisions via rsync with a Grace Period
During a provision via rsync, the
tprovision command will now include a 2-second sleep after locking tables. This ensures that all transactions have finished writing to disk, enhancing the reliability of your provisioning process.
Improvements, New Features, and Functionality: Elevate Your Database Management
Additional Logging for Better Debugging
Enhancements have been made to the replicator logs during switchover/failover operations. This addition of extra logging aims to facilitate better debugging in case of any issues during these critical operations.
Streamlined Installation and Deployment
We're making installation and deployment even smoother:
tpm uninstallwill now save all Tungsten database tracking schemas for later use, offering greater flexibility in managing schemas.
- Introducing the new
tpm keepcommand, which allows tracking schemas to be saved in multiple formats (
.cmd) at any time.
- A new tpm flag
deploy-systemdhas been added as a more meaningful alias to
Enhanced Command-line Tools
We've introduced several improvements to the command-line tools for more efficient database management:
tpm uninstallcommand now features a
--preserve-schemaoption, leaving the tracking schema in the database if needed.
tpm reportcommand now displays security-specific information for each channel, providing a comprehensive view of security settings.
- Several additional commands, such as
tpm ask certs,
tpm ask certtpm, and
tpm ask certlocations, offer improved security-related insights and reference information.
You can get more information on
tpm report &
tpm ask in our recent blog post.
Postgres, S3, Core Replicator, Filters, and More
This release brings a plethora of improvements to various components:
- Configure the PostgreSQL applier in Batch mode, adding more versatility to your database setup.
- Core Manager gets an upgrade with the JGroups library bumped up to version 4.2.22, ensuring better reliability and performance.
- A new
shardbyrulesfilter empowers you with rule-based sharding at the table level, expanding sharding capabilities beyond just schemas.
Monitoring, Bug Fixes, and More
We've got your monitoring needs covered:
- Prometheus exporters now provide SSL cert expiration dates as epoch values, enhancing monitoring capabilities.
- Added Prometheus exporter metrics for composite parent and sub-services, providing a more comprehensive view of your system's health.
- Upgraded Prometheus libraries from version 0.8.1 to 0.16.0, ensuring compatibility and performance.
In addition to these enhancements, we've addressed a multitude of bug fixes across various aspects of Tungsten Clustering & Tungsten Replicator, ensuring a smoother and more reliable experience. You can review the full release notes here:
Upgrade Today for a More Powerful Database Management Experience
Tungsten Clustering & Tungsten Replicator v7.1.0 marks a significant milestone in database management. With improved command-line tools, enhanced replication capabilities, expanded support, and a host of other upgrades, this release is packed with features designed to make your database management tasks smoother, more efficient, and more reliable. Don't miss out – upgrade to v7.1.0 today and experience the power of seamless, robust, and feature-rich database management with Tungsten Clustering & Tungsten Replicator.