People approach Continuent for many reasons, including:
- MySQL Continuous Operations: their business is using MySQL for business-critical applications that require zero downtime, including for maintenance updates
- MySQL Performance: their application performance and user experience are suffering due to a faltering MySQL backend
- MySQL Scaling and geo-scaling: they're scaling up and taking prudent preventative measures to lay a strong foundation based on anticipated growth, within region, cross the regions and cross the continents.
- Got Burned: they’re experiencing headaches with their DIY (do-it-yourself) MySQL clustering and replication setups, or it's dependent on one-off scripts in-house so the setup is hard to manage and maintain; often they’ve been burned and are trying to prevent more firefighting scenarios
- Migrating MySQL in the Cloud: Migration to the cloud without downtime can be tricky. Continuent allows MySQL clusters to be deployed in multiple cloud environments (AWS, Azure, Google). And taking advantage of the hybrid-cloud capability, the local MySQL cluster in a data center can be linked as a composite cluster running in the cloud.
And they ask, "How can I get my hands on that software and test it out?"
There are a couple of things to note first.
The developers of Tungsten are some of the most passionate, intelligent, (and fun) database people I've met, and they are constantly innovating; this means if you're reading this blog in 6 months or a year from when I'm writing, the deployment process may be different. But thus far, handing out software is not the first thing we do. We want to execute a controlled POC, both for our customers and our own benefit.
Secondly, Continuent (currently) does not offer Tungsten Clustering software as a pay-as-you-go Amazon AMI, available for instant use in the Amazon Marketplace; this will change soon, though. And we currently already do offer Tungsten Replicator as an AMI. For more information please visit this blog from my colleague Chris Parker.
For Tungsten Clustering and Tungsten Replicator subscriptions, please continue reading!
So, here's the current process for deploying Tungsten in your environment!
- The first step for any new Continuent Tungsten user is to fill out an in-depth Technical Questionnaire that collects all relevant information to assess if Tungsten will be a good fit for your environment. (Shoot me an email if you’d like to send us your specs: email@example.com)
- After careful review of your Technical Questionnaire by our experienced database engineers, one of our team skilled in architectural design will have a Technical Deep Dive with you to delve into the weeds and sort out any issues.
- We provide an SOW (Statement of Work) to outline the problem you’re having, our recommended solution, and how/why a successful POC (Proof of Concept) will solve your problem. We meet with you to ensure we’re on the same page and both parties sign off on the agreement.
- The next step is the POC, where we guide you in deploying Tungsten software, and testing it, to ensure everything runs smoothly to our satisfaction and answer any questions you may have. Since we provide 24/7/365 Support, we will not move forward with an implementation that is not absolutely rock solid and exceptional.
- Then we are happy to receive you as a valued Continuent Customer! Welcome to the Continuent family!
Hope this blog was helpful to understand how you may get going with Tungsten; feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
Add new comment