Run highly available MySQL database clusters in the AWS cloud from as little as $0.70 per node / per hour with the new Tungsten Cluster (AMI)
Continuent is pleased to announce the availability of our new Tungsten Cluster (AMI) - the complete continuous operations solution for MySQL database clusters - on the AWS Marketplace!
What Is It?
The Continuent Tungsten Cluster (AMI) is a complete, fully-integrated, fully-tested MySQL HA, DR and geo-clustering solution on the AWS Marketplace for business-critical MySQL, MariaDB, & Percona Server applications.
It includes all of the features and benefits provided by our flagship product, Tungsten Cluster, in an easy to access and deploy AMI format, both locally across multiple AWS zones, and globally across multiple AWs regions.
It can also be combined with our industry-best and fastest 24/7 support services.
Tungsten Cluster (AMI) currently comes pre-configured with the following MySQL versions:
- AWS Cloud MySQL: Easy to deploy and easy to manage Tungsten MySQL clusters with read/write splitting, both locally across zones and globally across regions
- Continuous MySQL Operations: Excellent MySQL HA and DR solution with infinite scalability using Pod architecture
- Managed MySQL: Tungsten Cluster (AMI) has an intuitive GUI, Tungsten Dashboard, to manage, monitor, and alert your MySQL AWS cloud deployments
What Does It Do?
Tungsten Cluster (AMI) allows enterprises running business-critical MySQL database applications to cost-effectively achieve continuous operations with commercial-grade high availability (HA), geographically redundant disaster recovery (DR) and global scaling.
It makes it simple to:
- Create database clusters in the AWS cloud, across multiple zones and regions
- Keep the data available even when systems fail
- Free you up to focus on your business and applications
It provides full clustering support, including:
- Intelligent Proxy with advanced load balancing
- Very fast, automatic local failover for HA, and rapid, automated global failover for DR
- Zero downtime maintenance
- Active/Active, multi-site deployments
Tungsten Cluster (AMI) is composed of three core components as well as our Tungsten MySQL monitoring and management GUI.
- Tungsten Replicator - The Real-Time Data Replication Engine for MySQL
- Tungsten Proxy - The Intelligent MySQL Proxy
- Tungsten Manager - The Orchestrator of Your Entire Tungsten MySQL Clusters
- Tungsten Dashboard - The Monitoring Tool For Your Tungsten MySQL Cluster
This AMI also includes:
- MySQL Community Edition v5.7 or MySQL Community Edition v8.0 pre-configured with all the required prerequisites to run a Tungsten Cluster
- Note: Tungsten Clusters support all MySQL variants and versions (including MariaDB and Percona Server). You can replace the pre-configured MySQL version with your preferred choice.
- HAProxy and Apache pre-configured for Tungsten Dashboard
- Access to Continuent Support for FREE for the first 14-Days following subscription
- Free Trials available by contacting
Together, they handle all of the messaging and control of your Tungsten MySQL clusters in a seamlessly-orchestrated fashion.
What Does It Cost?
Users can get started from as little as $0.70 per node / per hour (including AWS usage fees).
Note that a minimum of 3 nodes is required, which would be a single cluster configuration. Multiple clusters can also be configured, see further details below.
How To Avail Of It?
The AMI is available to launch manually via the Amazon Marketplace, or via Cloudformation Templates. Please read on for the instructions.
Possible configurations are:
- Single Cluster - Minimum 3 nodes
- Multiple Clusters - Minimum 2 Clusters, Minimum 3 nodes per cluster
Multiple Clusters can be configured either in an Active/Passive or Active/Active configuration. Each node will have one Primary Node for Read/Write and 2 or more Replica nodes for Read-Only.
By default, the AMI will launch with a 40Gb partition assigned to /opt. The software and associated logs will be generated here, therefore you should review the required storage space for this partition based on your activity levels. You should account for, at least, the same amount of space used by your binary logs within the retention period of your source database.
First you will need to subscribe to the AMI via the Marketplace, and then follow the URL below that matches the topology that you wish to deploy:
Complete the simple, single template form providing all the information required and then launch the clusters.
Cloudformation will handle the launch of the nodes required based on the topology chosen. It will also configure the various security gateways and VPC’s required, providing a complete stack ready to use.
You will need to launch a minimum of 3 hosts for each cluster that you want to configure.
Upon launch, connect to one host as the ec2-user using your preferred choice of Terminal application.
Issue the following command `sudo su - tungsten` and the launch and setup wizard will automatically commence.
Follow on screen prompts to configure. The launch wizard will store the configuration in the local MySQL instance on each of the nodes within the cluster.
To complete the installation across the entire cluster, continue to connect to each node in turn. The launch script will retrieve the locally stored configuration and proceed to complete the installation.
Once all nodes have been installed, load the environment by typing `source /opt/continuent/share/env.sh` and then issue `startall` on each node.
Providing you configure the network security accordingly, you will be able to connect to the Dashboard by using the Public DNS/IP of any of the hosts in your choice of internet browser, and when prompted entering the user name ‘tungsten’ and the password you supplied during node configuration.
After launching the clusters via either method, Applications can then connect to the Cluster by using any standard JDBC call connecting to any host on the Connector Port supplied (Default 3306). For more information on the Connectors, review the online documentation: https://docs.continuent.com/tungsten-clustering-6.1/connector.html
To access the Dashboard, simply connect to the public IP/Hostname of any node in the cluster in your choice of browser.
We’d love to hear your feedback on the new Tungsten Cluster (AMI), so please do comment below or contact us here.
Add new comment