We’re continuing this year’s series of blogs and on-demand webinars on database proxies with this new session by our colleague Gilles Rayrat, VP of Engineering and co-author as well as main developer of the Continuent Tungsten Proxy, which is now available to watch on-demand.
View this presentation to learn about two types of proxies, which we refer to as ‘fast & simple proxy’ and ‘intelligent proxy’; and how transparent failover and read-write splitting works for these.
The full agenda looks as follows:
- Recap: Introduction to Database Proxies
- Two Breeds of Proxies
- The Fast & Simple Proxy (4 Layer Proxy)
- The Intelligent Proxy
- Transparent Failover
- Connection / Failure / Failover / Reconnection
- Read-Write Splitting
- 4 Layer Proxies R/W Split
- With Intelligent Proxies
- SQL Parsing / Application Driven / Smart Scale
This new on-demand webinar builds upon Gilles’ previous one, An Introduction to Database Proxies, in which he discussed a simple database connectivity scenario all the way through to advanced database connectivity setups and proxy functionalities, thus providing a solid introduction to database proxies (for MySQL).
Please note that the content of our database proxy webinars is mostly geared at MySQL (as well as MariaDB and Percona Server) users. We are the MySQL Availability Company after all!
And as some of you will know, we do have our very own MySQL proxy technology namely, Tungsten Proxy, also known to Continuent customers as Tungsten Connector, which we like to refer to as the ‘Intelligent Proxy for MySQL’.
Tungsten Proxy – The Intelligent MySQL Proxy – in a nutshell
- Provides intelligent traffic routing to valid MySQL primaries, locally and globally
- Scales read queries to valid slaves via query inspection and other methods
- Application and active users do not disconnect during MySQL primary failover events
- Combined with another intelligent layer of Tungsten Clustering called Tungsten Manager, as well as the Tungsten Replicator, it provides automatic, rapid primary failover for MySQL High Availability and automated cross-site level failover for Disaster Recovery
To learn about intelligent database proxies in general, and Tungsten Proxy in particular, please watch our latest webinar on database proxies.