When evaluating a solution, we need to define the requirements for our application around these following elements:
- High Availability (HA): Local fast and automatic failover, for high availability
- Disaster Recovery (DR): Remote fast and site level failover, for disaster recovery and continuous operations
- Zero Downtime: Perform complex system changes or routine maintenance, while keeping applications available
- Geo-Scale: Geographically distributed (active/passive or active/active) low-latency database deployments with a single consolidated management view
- Read Scale: Fast local response times for read traffic, even in a geo-distributed deployment
- Multi-Primary: Ability to deploy active MySQL clusters across multiple regions
- Transparency: No changes to application code or stack
- Flexibility: Avoid cloud or vendor lock-in
- Support: Access to 24/7 support by experienced MySQL database engineers
This is the sixth in our Competitor Comparison Series covering the various solutions for MySQL that provide High Availability (HA), Disaster Recovery (DR), and Geo-Scale deployments. If you're interested in Do-it-Yourself (DIY) versus Tungsten Clustering, read on!
A DIY Solution uses an assortment of tools to provide high availability for MySQL - in case you missed it, we wrote a related blog: Ten Reasons Tungsten Cluster Beats DIY.
Each component must be selected, tested individually, and integrated with the other components, and then tested together. It is not only extremely resource-intensive but it’s also risky to rely on an in-house DIY clustering solution, since those who set it up tend to be the only ones who know all the details of how it works.
Tungsten Cluster vs DIY
Continuent Tungsten Clustering is a fully-integrated and tested solution built and designed from the ground up to work together. Tungsten specializes in making multi-site or geo-distributed MySQL easy to set up and manage on-prem, hybrid-cloud, or multi-cloud.
Customers stay with us (current average life-time 8+ years) citing completeness and maturity of the solution and the excellent, very fast (less than 3 minutes average response time) 24/7 support as reasons to choose Continuent.
To understand better, I interviewed Matthew Lang, Director of Customer Success, Americas at Continuent - if you're interested, feel free to watch the full, live discussion, or just watch this short, 3-minute clip from the interview below!
After viewing the clip below, feel free to reach out to learn more about whether Tungsten Clustering is a better fit than DIY for your unique requirements and environment!
Review the Competitive Features Scorecard
The DIY and Tungsten Cluster features comparison table displays in an easy-to-view checklist each of the key elements needed to make a great MySQL HA/DR/Geo-Scale solution:
|Management & Monitoring||2.00||4.80|
View the complete Competitive Features Scorecard
MySQL HA/DR/Geo-Scale Competitive Comparison
We’ve recently introduced this Competitor Comparison series to help demonstrate how and why customers with business-critical or mission-critical MySQL applications have grown for years with Tungsten Clustering and continue to choose it versus alternatives.
Please visit this page or read the blog introducing the High Noon series to learn more. Alternatively, feel free to reach out to us to start a conversation and see if Tungsten is a good fit for you!
Add new comment